Thursday, September 29, 2011

CPD 23: Week 11 - Putting Yourself Out There

Thing #15
Attend: I have only attended a handful of conferences and workshops so far in my short career. I have to admit that the cost is what holds me back the most. My school came close to closing last year because of our financial situation, so I don’t feel right asking for too much assistance to attend conferences. For those on the fence about attending—all I can say is GO! I can’t imagine someone going and not taking home new ideas. I leave with excitement, renewed energy for my job and determination to try new lessons! It is a shot of energy we all need to get our creative juices flowing.
Speaking: Being a new teacher librarian I do not feel I have enough experience to speak at a conference. Maybe after attending more events I will feel I have something to share.
Organize- Since I don’t feel too confident in my experience for speaking at events, this is an area I feel I can step forward and contribute. I know if I step out of my comfort zone and offer to help with some of the workshops and conferences I will meet new people and feel a stronger connection to our state organizations.


Thing #16 : Advocacy
This is something that is so important at my school and school library. Since the school has faced a number of financial hardships over the last years, it is imperative that we spread the word to school members, alumni and the local community about what we are doing. I have to say that we have a few staff members who excel at this, so I have had some good role models to follow. They are always thinking about advocacy so it helps to have strength in numbers! For those who work at a school I would strongly advise keeping in contact with alumni....there are many who feel a strong bond to the library so don't leave them out of the loop as they can help you build a strong following.

No comments:

Post a Comment